The plant №3 (as it was named originally) was founded in March 1931 by the order of the Chief of the Military Construction Administration of the Red Army. Originally, the basic activity of the enterprise was the production of wooden pipes for pipelines of that day and various construction components: doors, baseboards, etc.. Since 1933, the plant started the production of high-quality furniture, including the orders of Council of People's Commissars and of the Red Army.
However, the Great Patriotic War (which started on June 22, 1941) became the reason for the plant to sharply change the assortment of its products. First, the enterprise was transferred to the People's Commissariat of the USSR Aviation Industry, and in August 1941 it was renamed to “State Plant №383 NKAP”. It began manufacturing single-block wooden propellers and wooden blades for variable-pitch propellers for aircraft of domestic (“U-2”, “PO-2”, “Yak-6”, “R-5”, “LAGG-3”, “Il-2”, “TB-7”) and foreign production (“Rotol”, “Spitfire”, “Hurricane”). For the years of the war, more than 6 000 sets of blades and 40 000 single-block propellers were manufactured. The production of combat aircraft was impossible without them.
The plant started production of wooden blades for wind power plants “VISHOM-3,5”. The unit had a wind-driven propeller 3.5 m in diameter, installed power of a generator – 1 kW.
It was intended for lighting and radiofixation of a single-family house in regions without electricity. The industrial growth continued due to mastering the production of “V-501” & V-“509” propellers. They were designed in the Experimental design bureau №383 for light-engine transport, training and sports aircraft.
The plant started the production of the “V-501” propellers. In the following years the manufacturing of “B-509”, “B-514”, “B-521”, “B-525”, “B-530”, “B-536” continued. The model “B-530-D35” was the best. It was designed to handle with the “P-2” regulator and the “M-14” power generator on the “Yak-18” plane. It provided high-thrust fighter and power response. The propeller was launched in mass production in 1957, but it’s still in operation and in mass production at the present time! As well as the aircraft and the power generator, the “V-530-D35” propeller had a number of design improvements that increased its reliability and resource. Today, the modification of the “V-530TA-D35” propeller is being mass-produced. It is used on the “Yak-18, “Yak-50, “Yak 52, “Yak-55 and “Yak-55M” aircraft.
From this year onwards, the plant's activities are inextricably associated with the development of helicopter aviation in our country. As soon as the Soviet Union started mass production of the “Mi-1” helicopters (in Kazan at the plant № 387, now -- Kazan Helicopter Plant), our enterprise got the order for manufacturing anti-torque propellers. This is because we already had all the necessary equipment and considerable experience in the production of propellers with wooden blades. In the future, practically all the helicopters, that left the Mil's bureau, were equipped with helmets of our production.
The first transport-combat helicopter “Mi-24” took its maiden flight. In comparison with the “Mi-4” helicopter, it had better characteristics of weight and speed. The propeller for it was designed by the designers of Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant with a principally new scheme, including a universal link of the head on the shaft of the tail gearbox. The propeller’s blades have a composite construction: metal spars and fiberglass aft body filled with honeycomb corestock of aluminum foil. The plant “Forward” began manufacturing the 8-3904-000 propellers in 1966.
The plant was renamed to “Moscow’s machine-building plant “Forward”.
The first “Mi-8” helicopter took its maiden flight. It is equipped with a 246-3901-000 propeller that differs from a 8-3904-000 propeller in the direction of rotation and the operation principle. The 8-3904-000 propeller is pusher, the 246-3901-000 propeller is tractor. Their components have the same dimensions and are mirroring each other. In 1981, the anti-torque propeller 246-3904-000, designed in Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant for the “140”, “240”, “80 MT” helicopters, was launched into production. It differs from the 246-3901-000 in wider blades (246-3925-00). The plant produced more than 40 000 anti-torque propellers for “Mi-8”, “Mi-24” helicopters and their modifications. The serial production of these propellers still goes on.
The largest Russian helicopter, “Mi-26” took its maiden flight. The mass production of the blades for it (90-3924-00) was started in 1981. Their design has a range of new solutions. Practically all the metal elements in it were replaced by the fiberglass and titanium ones.
Production of modern X-shaped Tail rotor Blades 286-3904-00 and 542-3904-00 with a product mass of 90 kg. The design of the tail rotor used new technological and production solutions.
Currently, we continue the mass production of propellers and blades for them for helicopters produced by the experimental design bureau named after M.L. Mil. We mastered the repair of used propellers and blades, and expanded the options of the service backup. The program of guarantee support of used propellers is realized in our plant. We take them apart, analyze all the defects and repair them. The price of repairing includes the blades’ cost & the cost of repairing the head. It is much cheaper than buying a new propeller! It entirely meets the interests of customers, because one hour of operation of the repaired propellers costs cheaper than one hour of operation of the new ones. The repair of propellers is profitable for the plant as well.